Pages

Saturday, February 15, 2014

How to Get Out of a Reading Slump

Hey everyone!

It's Molly here. As you can probably tell from the lack of book reviews I've been posting, I have been in a bit of a funk these past couple of months. I've been trying to read Reached by Ally Condie but my heart just hasn't been in it. I've been reading so much dystopia lately and I'm kind of getting sick of it. I've been trying to egg myself on, saying that as soon as I finish that book I can start another book that I really want to read. But, let's be honest here, forcing myself to read isn't going to make me want to read anymore than I already don't. Since I had convinced myself that I couldn't read a book until I had finished another one, I just didn't read at all. The other night however, I got pretty sick of that and picked up one of my favorite Sarah Dessen novels and read. I am so glad that I did. If I was able to get out of a reading slump, you can too. Here are some tips how:

  • Take a break. Sure, you may think that that is exactly what you shouldn't do if you're trying to finish a book, but sometimes it's what you need. Whether it's 15 minutes, or a week, breaks are always good to let your brain unwind and relax.
  • Start a new book. This is what I did to get out of my funk. I really just was not in the mood to be reading another dystopian novel. There are so many good contemporary novels on my shelf that I can't wait to read. I put Reached on the back burner and decided to reread a book that I know I already love. Sometimes that all you really need.
  • Don't force yourself to read. If you really just don't feel like reading a book or can't focus on anything then don't read because you just won't be happy. And not being happy sucks, so do whatever makes you happy.
So yeah, that's all of my advice for now. I hope you all have a wonderful week and I'll see you later!

Love,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment