Pages

Sunday, January 18, 2015

Molly Reviews: A Game of Thrones by George RR Martin

Title: A Game of Thrones
Author: George RR Martin
Pages: 694
Publishing Company: Bantam Books
Publication Date: August 6, 1996
ISBN: 0553386794
My Rating: 
Synopsis:Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

Review: I DID IT! I FINISHED IT I FINALLY READ IT! If you've been following this blog for the past couple of months, you would know that I've been trying to finish this book for a while. That being said, it was amazing. George RR Martin is FANTASTIC. I was entranced by this world that he created and I cannot wait until I can get my hands on the next book.
Martin did a great job with building the world and describing each of the characters. Each of the characters is amazingly unique and each of their stories is incredible. He made an excellent decision in having the book be told through several different points of view because I feel like if it was just the same narrator the whole time, I would have gotten bored with it very quickly. My favorite characters were probably Bran, Jon, and Daenarys. 
Westeros is a world that I kind of wish was real. I could do without all of the gory death and losing everyone that I loved but I think it would be pretty cool to live with some dragons. Also, what about the fashion? Sansa really knows her stuff guys. George RR Martin's descriptions of the setting brought everything to life for me and made me feel like I was really there in the story.
I really recommend this series especially if you love high fantasy. This book was exactly what I needed and I finally got out of my reading slump.
I hope you all have a great day and I'll talk to you guys soon!
Love,
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment