Pages

Monday, March 17, 2014

Molly Reviews: The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan


Title: The Lightning Thief
Author: Rick Riordan
Pages: 377
Publishing Company: Disney Hyperion Books
Publication Date: March 1, 2008
ISBN: 0786838665
My Rating: PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Synopsis: Percy Jackson is about to be kicked out of boarding school... again. And that's the least of his troubles. Lately, mythological monsters and the gods of Mount Olympus seem to be walking straight out of the pages of Percy's Greek mythology textbook and into his life. And worse, he's angered a few of them. Zeus' master lightning bolt has been stolen, and Percy is the prime suspect.

Now Percy and his friends have just ten days to find and return Zeus' stolen property and bring peace to a warring Mount Olympus. But to succeed on his quest, Percy will have to do more than catch the true thief: he must come to terms with the father who abandoned him; solve the riddle of the Oracle, which warns him of betrayal by a friend; and unravel a treachery more powerful than the gods themselves.


Review: This was one of my favorite books when I was younger, and now I remember why! I love Greek mythology and Percy Jackson is a great adaptation that is easy for everyone to understand! You don't have to know anything about Greek legends going into this book which is one of the reasons why I love it.
Last year, in English, we spent an entire marking period learning about Greek literature and coming back to this book after that led me to appreciate it even more (did anyone else notice Poseidon's mention of tragic heroes?). Not only does the book talk about Greek myths, but it also has quite a bit of sarcastic humor. I am SO glad my friend is making me reread the series. Even though this book is rather short and written for more middle grade audiences, I think that it is a good read for people of all ages!

No comments:

Post a Comment